Thursday, December 10, 2009

The World Body Painting Competition -My First




Every July, the little town of Seeboden, which is nestled against a lake in the Austrian Alps, is descended upon by thousands of body painters and appreciative gawkers for the World Body Painting Festival. In 2008, I decided to go. I had never painted a body before, only some limited exposure to face painting and theatrical makeup, but because of my henna business, and my art background, I was not unaccustomed to paint, or to working with the human body.


I entered into the Semi-Pro category, with my son, Remy, as my assistant. We met our model when we arrived the morning we were to paint, the lovely Clarissa, who is a student at Klagenfurt University, a nearby town to Seeboden. The theme was "Science: a World of Wonders", so we decided to paint the power of the earth, and did a Volcano/Tsunami scene, and transformed our model into Pele, the Hawaiian Volcano Goddess.

We were so excited with our painting, and with the wonderful feedback we got from everyone watching. Clarissa was so exuberant, and into her character of Pele, her energy was terrific! We ended up in 13th place, and with a marvelous experience. One that got me hooked on Body Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment